Last night the Prime Minister gave a statement on the evolving Covid-19 situation and the new Omicron variant. He confirmed the government decision to move England into Plan B which includes the following measures:
- From Monday 13 December, those who can will be advised to work from home. Employers should use the rest of this week to discuss working arrangements with their employees.
- From Friday 10 December, the government will further extend the legal requirement to wear a face mask to most public indoor venues, including theatres and cinemas. There will be exemptions in venues where it is not practical to wear one, such as when you are eating, drinking or exercising.
- From Wednesday 15 December, and subject to parliamentary approval, the NHS Covid Pass on the NHS App will become mandatory for entry into nightclubs and settings where large crowds gather - including unseated indoor events with 500 or more attendees, unseated outdoor events with 4,000 or more attendees and any event with 10,000 or more attendees.
- People will be able to demonstrate proof of two vaccine doses via the app. Having considered the evidence since the emergence of Omicron, proof of a negative lateral flow test will also be accepted.
- As Omicron spreads in the community, the government will also introduce daily tests for contacts instead of isolation.
The government will keep the data under constant review. This new set of regulations are due to expire six weeks after implementation, with a review after three weeks. You can see the full announcement here and the government advice will be published over the next few days at www.gov.uk/coronavirus.
Vaccination and testing remain the most effective ways of protecting yourself and others from Covid-19.
73,072 people in Watford have had their first vaccine dose, 66,506 people have had their second and 27,276 people have had their booster. You can view the latest information on vaccination rates in Watford here.
The case rate in Watford is currently 473 per 100,000. The latest Covid-19 statistics for Watford are available here.
For details of local Covid-19 vaccination walk-in clinics, including at Watford Town Hall, please visit https://covid.healthierfuture.org.uk/events/vaccination-walk-in-clinic-times.
Key covid links:
- Book covid vaccinations here
- Register with a GP here
- Order free rapid lateral flow tests here
- Test and Trace financial support here